Up to 80% of the waste generated by Russian Railways is reused in secondary circulation. The bulk of this waste, such as scrap ferrous and non-ferrous metals and processed petroleum products, is transferred to the waste processing market. In addition, waste is reused internally. The Company’s measures to reduce or recycle waste include:
- separate waste collection in administrative buildings and at railway stations;
- reduction in the use of writing paper by introducing electronic document management;
- reducing the generation of polyethylene waste by using biodegradable instead of plastic bags);
- reducing ash and slag waste generation by modernising boiler houses;
- reducing the production of waste containing mercury by switching to LED lighting.