Russian Railways has set itself the task of ensuring that the level of acoustic impacts on the environment is in compliance with established standards, including the identification and application of the most effective noise protection technologies.
In order to achieve that goal, Russian Railways has developed standardised requirements regarding the acoustic impacts from all types of railway rolling stock:
- RZD Standard 1.07.007-2010. Acoustic screens for rail transport. Rules for acceptance, commissioning and maintenance during the life cycle;
- GOST [State Standard] 33325-2015. Noise. Methods for calculating the levels of external radiated noise from rail transport;
- GOST [State Standard] 33329-2015. Acoustic screens for rail transport. Technical requirements.
- GOST [State Standard] 33328-2015. Acoustic screens for rail transport. Control methods regarding technological requirements.
- GOST [State Standard] 33328-2015. Acoustic screens for railway vehicles. Control methods regarding technological requirements.
- GOST [State Standard] Р 56394-2015. Noise. Operational noise maps for rail transport. General requirements and construction methods.
Guidelines for the Use of a Set of Soundproofing Technologies and Technical Requirements for Soundproofing Plates on the Rail Neck and an Album of Technical Solutions for Designing a Set of Soundproofing Measures were approved by Order No. 698r issued by Russian Railways on 20 March 2015.
In the field of noise protection, the target of Russian Railways is to reduce the impact of noise on the environment.
Measures to ensure noise reduction at Russian Railways include:
- conducting research and compiling noise maps in settlements that allow a ranking of the risks of noise exposure and developing priority measures to eliminate them;
- working on finishing rails, turning wheel flanges and lubricating rails;
- laying elastic rail fasteners;
- laying seamless tracks;
- replacing cast iron with composite brake pads;
- equipping the laboratories of environmental protection centres with additional equipment for noise control;
- installing noise screens;
- developing and implementing new standards aimed at noise regulation, standardisation and reduction;
- developing and implementing new technologies that contribute to noise reduction;
- modernising rolling stock.