As part of the implementation of the Environmental Strategy of Russian Railways, emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere from stationary sources decreased by 13% in 2020 compared to the previous year.
The decrease was achieved by:
- constructing new and reconstructing existing boilers;
- converting boilers to environmentally-cleaner types of fuels (gas, pellets, renewable energy);
- improving the efficiency of fuel combustion;
- introducing electric heating;
- eliminating small-scale coal boilers;
- reconstructing existing and introducing new dust-capture equipment.