Loading volumes on network owned by Russian Railways amounted to 106.6 million tons in March 2020
According to the latest figures, loading volumes on the network owned by Russian Railways amounted to 106.6 million tons in March 2020, 5.5% less than in the same month last year.
Freight turnover in March 2020 decreased by 7.3% compared to the same month last year and amounted to 214.7 billion tariffs ton-kilometres. Freight turnover taking into account empty wagon runs decreased by 7.7% during March 2020 compared to March 2019 and amounted to 272.3 billion tons-km.
According to the latest figures, loading volumes for the first quarter of 2020 amounted to 306.7 million tons, 3.8% less than during January to March 2019.
The railways shipped the following categories of freight from January to March 2020. Figures in brackets show the percentage change compared to January-March 2019:
- coal - 87.2 million tons (-10.2%);
- coke - 2.7 million tons (-4.6%);
- oil and petroleum products - 58.7 million tons (-3.2%);
- iron and manganese ores - 29.7 million tons (+1.5%);
- ferrous metals 18.1 million tons (-7%);
- ferrous metal scrap - 2.8 million tons (+0.7%);
- chemical and mineral fertilisers - 15.6 million tons (+0.5%);
- cement - 4.6 million tons (no change);
- timber - 10.4 million tons (-5.3%);
- grain - 5.7 million tons (-6%);
- construction materials - 28.8 million tons (+5.7%);
- non-ferrous ore and sulphurous raw materials - 4.7 million tons (+1.8%);
- chemicals and soda - 6.5 million tons (-2.3%);
- industrial raw materials and moulded materials - 6.9 million tons (-12.6%).
Since the beginning of 2020, freight turnover has amounted to 621.5 billion ton-km, a decrease of 4.7% on the first quarter in 2019. Freight turnover taking into account empty wagon runs stood at 788.8 billion ton-km, an increase of 5.2%.