Today on Krasnoyarsk Railways, among the small stations, is a siding which bears the name "Boris Lukashevich". It is located on the eastbound Abakan - Taishet line.
Even during the construction phase, railwaymen used to call the route "the highway of courage" since the line was to run through the remote taiga and mountain areas and cross the rapid Siberian rivers. The railway line's builders thus faced very hard work coping with these difficult and harsh conditions, and , laying the track required punching tunnels through the rock and building bridges across rivers and streams.
In spring 1964, a powerful ice jam developed at Chernaya Mys (Black Cape), which forms a wedge into the river Mana. The river began to burst its banks, flooding the road, while the elements threatened to wash away the railway tracks, bring down bridges and dams and inundate the settlements along the river. The alarm was raised by a group of railway explosive experts workers led by tge engineer Major Boris Lukashevich.
The ice was constantly moving. At first, explosive charges were planted on the individual 1.5-metre floes to blown them up, but then it was decided to increase the force of the explosions and use poles to place the charges in the water.
After another pole with a powerful charge had been prepared, the targeted floes suddenly shifted, the pole fell, and the river's fast current began to drag the pole under the ice. The fuse had already been lit, and an explosion could occur at any time. The current would have carried the charge to the river bank and the nearby bridge where people were standing. The officer and explosives expert in charge of the demolition had a split second to make his decision. He rushed to the hole in the ice, was able to grab the end of the pole as it slid under the ice and place it properly. And then there was an explosion…
The railway station is named after the hero and has a monument to Major Lukashevich.
Today, just one family lives at the station. Every day, an average of 30 freight and passenger trains passes through the Lukashevich siding. Fast trains do not even make a short stop at the station.
"In the summer, many tourists come to us to go rafting: 15-20 people almost every day - the river Mana literally flows just a hundred metres from the station. And fishermen are our passengers throughout the year," says station master Dmitry Trofimenko.
Mariinsk was the first station on Krasnoyarsk Railways when travelling on the Trans-Siberian Railway from west to east.
The village Kiya once stood on this site. It was granted the status of a town in 1856. However, the local authorities did not like the dissonance of the name Kiisk, so the town's officials sent a petition to Tsar Alexander II to rename the city in his honor. The Tsar did not give his consent. High-ranking people then approach the Tsar again, this time asking if the town could be renamed Mariinsky in honor of the Tsar's wife, Maria Alexandrovna. This time, Alexander agreed.
In 1895, the same name was given to the station. The district town Mariinsk, whose main street was the main Moscow-Irkutsk postal road and the chain-gang route, experienced a renaissance after the railway line was laid. Thanks to the new line and the new jobs which were created, the town's population increased significantly, rising four and a half times over the next 50 years. The town's development proceeded so rapidly that in the early 20th century, a large series of postcards and albums with views of Mariinsky was released in Moscow and attracted the attention of the public.
Today, Mariinsk is home to more than 30,000 people, and the railway remains the main enterprise in the town. This small place with three tracks and a station master's booth has turned into a major railway station on the Trans-Siberian Railway.