Russian Railways transports rare IS-3 tank for charity project
Russian Railways has transported a rare IS-3 tank from World War II to a museum of military equipment in Russia’s northern Arkhangelsk region for a charity project.
The Soviet heavy tank was dispatched from Kushchevka station on North Caucasus Railways to the Kostylovevo Station on Northern Railways, where it was loaded onto trucks and transported to the installation site in the village of Bereznik in the Arkhangelsk region. The exhibit arrived at the destination station in early July.
The delivery was organised by the Saratov branch of Russian Railways Logistics, as well as the transport and logistics unit of Russian Railways on North Caucasus Railways.
In honour of the 75th anniversary of the Victory in World War II, the heavy tank was restored in the village of Kushchevskayain Krasnodar region in the workshops of a company specialisingin the repair of armoured vehicles. The Russian Railways Holding organised the selection and provision of the specialised staff needed for the shipment, taking into account all the features of the freight and developed an optimal loading scheme.
Russian Railways had also previously delivered a rare T-34 tank to the Great Patriotic War Museum of Military Equipment, which had been restored in the town of Engels in the Saratov region.
The IS-3 is the last Soviet heavy tank of the war period. It weighs about 50 tons. This type of armoured vehicle were first displayed during the Allied Parade in Berlin in September 1945.