Improving working conditions, recreation and social support for women
Russian Railways is carrying out a range of measures to improve the working conditions and social security of women which is being implemented at state level.
More than 30% of Russian Railways’ employees are women. They are employed in a variety of positions, from workers to managers. Their working conditions should strike a balance between career development and family responsibilities.
Russian Railways has formed a Coordinating Council in order to protect the rights of women working at the Company, improve their working conditions and recreation possibilities and provide them with social support.
Russian Railways has implemented a number of measures:
- a decision has been taken to provide a “women’s day” without pay;
- children of Russian Railways’ employees from the age of four are entitled to free travel under transport requirements on long-distance trains with a separate seat;
- specialised medical and health programmes have been developed for Russian Railways employees, including women;
- health groups have been developed for women aged 40+;
- the components of the social package are supplemented by the possibility of compensation for the services of nannies, private kindergartens, cultural institutions and sports institutions;
- pre-school educational institutions such as after-school care and round-the-clock regimes have been organised;
- recommendations for flexible working hours and remote work have been developed;
- clarifications have been prepared on the transfer of workers to lighter labour during pregnancy;
- new contemporary styles of clothing are to be introduced;
- various cultural and mass events have been held, including the Day of the Family, Love and Loyalty, a festival which celebrates family values, while the social network Instagram has held an online photo contest called Women of the Railways;
- a Palace of Culture club card has been developed for female veterans;
- lectures of successful women have been held.