Green Projects as integral part of
Russian Railways long-term investment objectives
One of the Russian Railways key strategic objectives by 2030 is priority use of green technologies and a double decrease in environmental load, recognizing that railway is still one of the transportation modes with the lowest level of harmful effects on environment.
Rail transport = Green transport
Rail transport is one of the most environmentally-friendly modes of transport. The energy efficiency of rail transport is better than automobile transport by 2-3 times, both in freight and passenger transportation. More than a half (43.8 thousand km) of the 85.6 thousand km of operational length of Russian railways is electrified. Moreover, more than 86% of the cargo and the passengers are transported on electrified rail systems.. According to the International Energy Agency and International Union of Railways1, Russian Railways is one of the most energy efficient railway companies across the globe. Russia ranks first in energy efficiency of freight rail traffic compared with other European rail systems, the railways of China, Japan, India and the USA, and ranks fourth place in passenger rail traffic energy efficiency after India, China and Japan.
RZD’s actions for environment protection
An important part of the development strategy of Russian Railways is to ensure environmental safety.
The key documents in the environment safety field are:
- Policy of environmental and labour protection and industrial safety.
- The environmental strategy of JSCo "Russian Railways" up to 2030 (currently being updated).
- The Long-Term Development Programme up to 2025 approved by the Russian Government’s Decree No. 466-r dated 19 March 2019.
According to the Long-Term Development Programme the environmental targets up to 2025 are the following:
- A decrease of harmful substances emissions into the air from stationary sources by 18% against 2018;
- A decrease of greenhouse gas emissions by 4.5% against 2018;
- A decrease in utilization of water resources by 20% against 2018;
- A decrease in the discharge of wastewaters into surface water-bodies and on the land surface by 18% against 2018;
- An increase of waste reuse by 2.4% against 2018.
Investments in ecology and results
The Company’s investments in environmental safety exceeded 8.5 billion rubles in 2018. This allowed the Company to reduce harmful emissions into the atmosphere by 4.3%, discharges of polluted wastewater by 11% and to eliminate 12 sites of accumulated environmental damage (for example, petroleum products warehouses and repair depots, spent fuel oil, diesel fuel and other chemical compounds).
To ensure the environmental monitoring of the company’s branches, Russian Railways has created a comprehensive monitoring system that includes 56 stationary environmental laboratories accredited in the national accreditation system, 53 car laboratories, 12 rail wagon laboratories.
Laboratories carry out quantitative chemical analysis of samples of natural and waste water, soil, waste, industrial emissions, etc.
Laboratories are equipped with modern analytical equipment, which allow analysis of all types of pollutants.
If inconsistencies are detected, corrective measures are taken immediately: equipment adjustments are madefor wastewater treatment and emissions, cleaning of ground surfaces and other measures.