History of Russian rail lines
The Kaliningrad line runs through the Kaliningrad region, which until 1946 was the northern part of the former East Prussia.
The Potsdam Conference took place between 17 July and 2 August 1945 and brought together the Heads of Government of the USSR, the US and the UK, who signed an agreement on the elimination of East Prussia and the transfer of Koenigsberg and the adjacent area to the Soviet Union.
Kaliningrad is the western-most region of Russia and in 1990 became a territorial enclave which occupies 15,100 square metres on the south-eastern coast of the Baltic Sea. A large section of the region's borders is of natural origin, with the Baltic Sea, the Curonian Lagoon and the wetlands of the Neman River's lower reaches forming its western boundary, the Šešupė and Širvinta rivers in the east.
Kaliningrad and its marine outport Baltiysk are ice-free ports and provide a significant portion of Russia's international cabotage on the Baltic Sea and the Atlantic.
When the Baltic republics became part of the USSR in 1940, three railway companies were formed - Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, which became part of the Soviet Union's unified railway network.
As economic ties between the Baltic region and Kaliningrad Oblast increased, a joint Baltic railway was created in 1953, which a few years later was again split into separate Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian railway divisions.
In February 1963 the government decided to establish a joint Baltic railway. In 1992, Kaliningrad Railways was split off from Baltic Railways with management from Kaliningrad. The largest rail transport hubs were Kaliningrad and Chernyakhovsk.
In May 1993 a new stretch of line was commissioned which used the European narrow gauge of 1435 mm and ran from Kaliningrad's Yuzhnaya Station to Dzerzhinsk-Novaya station. This section was a 5-km stretch on the reconstructed 47-km Dzerzhinsk - Mamonovo - Braniewo line. As a result, passenger trains could now run between Kaliningrad - Gdynia - Berlin.