Loading on the Russian Railways network amounted to 109 million tons in August 2019
According to the latest figures, loading on the Russian Railways network in August 2019 amounted to 109 million tons, which is 0.2% more than in the same month last year.
Freight turnover in August 2019 decreased by 2.1% compared to the same period last year and amounted to 213.6 billion tariff ton-km. Freight turnover taking into account empty wagon runs decreased by 2.1% during the same time and amounted to 271.2 billion tons-km.
According to the latest figures, loading volumes during January-August 2019 amounted to 850.5 million tons, 1.1% less than in the same period last year.
The railways carried the following items of freight during the period from January to August 2019. Figures in brackets show the percentage change compared to the same months in 2018.
- coal - 246 million tons (-1.3%);
- coke - 7.2 million tons (-0.9%);
- oil and petroleum products - 154.1 million tons (-1.7%);
- iron and manganese ores - 79.6 million tons (2.9%);
- ferrous metals - 50.1 million tons (-4.6%);
- ferrous metal scrap - 10 million tons (-0.5%);
- chemical and mineral fertilisers - 40.6 million tons (2.7%);
- cement - 18.2 million tons (5.7%);
- timber - 29.3 million tons (-6.1%);
- grain - 12.6 million tons (-29.4%);
- construction materials - 84.1 million tons (-1.3%);
- non-ferrous and sulphur ores - 13.1 million tons (-3.3%);
- chemicals and soda - 17.5 million tons (-1.1%);
- industrial raw materials and moulded materials - 23.5 million tons (-1.4%).
From the beginning of the year to the end of August 2019, freight turnover rose 0.9% to 1,734.1 billion ton-km, while freight turnover taking into account empty wagon runs amounted to 2,205.4 billion tons-km, an increase of 0.8%.